…even when you don’t feel it.
Have you ever heard the phrase, “fake it till you make it”? No lie, this has been my M-O for as long as I can remember. Without it I would have had such a hard time being able to meet anyone new or try anything new – including sharing this with you!
I’m an introvert and a recovering perfectionist so, my instinct is to say, “No thank you. I’m fine with what I’ve got going on”. Fear of failure and judgement could have kept me from meeting some truly awesome people and from experiencing some really amazing opportunities. Don’t get me wrong. I still feel scared and insecure at the beginning of new experiences. But that’s ok. I know what to do now and want to share it with you!
I’ve learned it’s actually quite simple. You really do just start off faking confidence. Exactly how do I propose you do this? I’m glad you asked! Over the years, I’ve consistently used seven guiding principles (which were inadvertently taught to me by my mom) under the constructs of the ‘fake it till you make it’ philosophy.
Acting as if you are confident will give you the opportunity to practice being confident until you actually feel confident. Give it a try!
- Draw your shoulder blades together and stand tall.
- Look people in the eye when you engage with them.
- Speak clearly and loud enough for people to easily hear you – no mumbling.
- Say that you don’t know when you don’t know and own up to making mistakes.
- Be generous with giving credit and compliments to others. In my opinion, this is the most powerful in building true confidence.
- Wear an outfit that makes you feel boss.
It may take courage and some conscious effort at first. But with a little practice, you will no longer be “faking” the confidence you are exuding. You simply WILL BE experiencing it.
And never underestimate the power of music to help you feel confident! Check out some tunes that will get you pumped up and feeling like a total badass – Get the Ultimate Playlist here!